Infloox is a website with an interesting idea.
Introducing infloox™, the website on influential people’s influential books!
Let’s say you are interested in Agatha Christie! infloox™ allows you to find:
- her favourite books or authors;
- the most famous readers of all her books, and why they liked them;
- whether one of her books served as an inspiration for some other book.
But that’s not all! You can also search this website, to find the favourite readings of entire countries, regions, job types, cultural movements or groups in general. Do this through our “collective search” feature!
- Agatha Christie’s favourite books / authors (infloox™)
- The most famous readers of Agatha Christie’s works (outfloox™)
This example centered around Agatha Christie and, by extension, around one of her favourite authors: Charles Dickens. Of course, both happen to be writers of books; but this is just one example! You can find similar pages for any other types of famous persons: not only writers, but also politicians, movie actors, scientists, tycoons, jazz musicians, astronauts, impressionist painters, etc. — anyone who enjoyed reading, or who might have been deeply impressed, influenced by one or more books in particular. That makes lots of famous people!
And if you want to find directly the influence of a book, or of an author, on a famous person, or on another book, simply type both names or titles in the search box, for example: “bill clinton macbeth shakespeare”.
Want to know more? Here’s additional stuff on how this website works:
- The monkey
- know our vision — and what we want to accomplish!
- A bird’s view
- what were you missing before infloox™ was invented?
- are we really that pedantic? Well, it’s up to you to find out!
- welcome to the world of infloox™! Here are some of the buzzwords we use again and again throughout this website!
(Do just beware of the advertsing on the site before you use it with students, it was slightly risky the day of my visit. However, this does appear to be fixed now as of 30/8/09 – see comments below.) Thanks to Jean Anning and Joyce Valenza for passing on the details of Infloox.
many thanks for your nice review on infloox.com. I am part of the infloox team and I thought of posting this comment.
You were absolutely right about some of the Google ads appearing on our website that may not necessarily be all suitable for younger students.
I am happy to say we have made the necessary modifications to the types of ads “permitted” to go through. Everything should now be ok, but we’ll keep monitoring the situation.
Thank you for your encouraging review as well as for your much-appreciated hint, which as you see we took very seriously.
Thanks for that Ray, it makes it much easier to use in schools!