PLN: giving us the power

Today, guest blogger Leanne Hampson, aka ‘the resource hound’, from Brauer Secondary College in Warrnambool, reflects on her recent experiences in the 2011 PLN.

The fact that I have been asked to do a guest post for the Bright Ideas Blog is testament to the power of the PLN. I have always been interested in ICT but had never been able to find just the right push, just the right support network or just the right guidance. The PLN has been all that and more. I thought I might share with you some of the successes I have had because of the PLN.

Firstly there is my WordPress  blog ‘theresourcehound’. Here I have focused on blogging about great resources and great tools. A lot of these have been discovered via the Units we have studied or as I have dug my way around the net, followed other people’s suggestions or chased links posted in Twitter and other places. Whilst it doesn’t have a huge following (as yet!) it has been great to use as a way of ‘storing’ these resources, even if just for myself!

Post from the resource hound blog

Then there has been my increase in confidence.  I have tried new things in my classes, usually with great success, even if I haven’t been exactly the expert. Students are quite accepting of ‘I don’t know, let’s work it out together’ and the shift from me having to be the all knowing guru to ‘we’re in this together’ has been liberating.

I have also found the confidence to start passing the knowledge on – this week I begin running my own professional development sessions for interested staff, of whom there are several already. Tonight’s session will begin with ‘Twitter for professional development.’ As a result of the PLN Facebook page (a fantastic support) I have started my own page for the people who come to the PD. It is called Brauer ICT Explorers.

One of the other good things about the PLN has been that I have made connections to things that will continue my journey even after the PLN itself runs its course. I have subscribed to blogs and groups that keep feeding me new things to explore or try.

The PLN has been a big commitment in time and energy. I doubt anyone would dispute that fact! The rewards, though, have been little short of spectacular.

Congratulations to Leanne and all the 2011 PLN participants.

Leanne’s blog, the resource hound, is just what the name implies – a great place to visit for new and interesting resources and practical tips.

One thought on “PLN: giving us the power

1. Well done Leanne. Great to see you guest posting here. You’ve come a long way in a short time, and I’m sure you are doing a great job bringing your staff with you.

Jenny : )