Social media and new online behaviours

Seth Godin’s written a short blog entry about social media’s ability to spout and scout. By that he means:
Spout: to talk about what we’re up to and what we care about.
Scout: to see what others are spouting about.

Godin also points out that up until now this information was pretty much private, and our activities were not commercial. Now we are seeing a flourishing of sharing activity – access to information about our interests and passions has never been easier.

For example, it has enabled like minded people to pursue their interests together, collaborating with strangers, or learning more about our friends; and has enabled new ways of doing business – such as self promotion via blogs, and businesses gathering information about ourselves to better customise their products to name a few…

You can read more of his thoughts here.

This entry was posted in Professional learning, Reflection and tagged by Yen Wong. Bookmark the permalink.

About Yen Wong

I am a librarian and have worked in public libraries, TAFE, and specialist libraries including the CFA and Vision Australia. Now I’m the Learning Programs Officer at SLV. My role focuses mainly on information literacy programs such as research skills, databases, newspapers, collection based workshops such as maps, genealogy, business, law, statistics, census records, book reviews, health/medicine, research for job seekers, and web searching. I am always on the lookout for new emerging teaching/learning/social trends, and for ideas that assist with developing new programs.