The Horizon Report has now published a K-12 edition specifically for schools. In this edition they highlight the challenges facing schools in relation to technology:
Our research indicates that each of these six technologies will have a significant impact on schools within the next five years:
- Collaborative Environments
- Online Communication Tools
- Cloud Computing
- Smart Objects
- The Personal Web
- Technology continues to profoundly affect the way we work, collaborate, communicate, and succeed.
- Technology is increasingly a means for empowering students, a method for communication and socializing, and a ubiquitous, transparent part of their lives.
- The web is an increasingly personal experience.
- The way we think of learning environments is changing.
- The perceived value of innovation and creativity is increasing.
- There is a growing need for formal instruction in key new skills, including information literacy, visual literacy, and technological literacy.
- Students are different, but educational practice and the material that supports it is changing only slowly.
- Learning that incorporates real life experiences is not occurring enough and is undervalued when it does take place.
- There is a growing recognition that new technologies must be adopted and used as an everyday part of classroom activities, but effecting this change is difficult.
- A key challenge is the fundamental structure of the K-12 education establishment.
It is well worth a read to see where we are headed and if we are on track!